Woodhaven Sunrise

It was 6am and I felt like I had to get out of there. I snuck off to the roof and laid on the uneven bumpy tar until I knew for sure everyone had left. The air felt so brisk and peaceful. Just laying there for a while immediately made me feel better. Being on the roof always brought back memories of the summer. I closed my eyes and I could hear July 4th play over in my head as the smell of Barbeque filled my nostrils. I opened my eyes to see the sky change from black to blue. Today was different; it wasn’t about celebration…it was about clarity.

As I laid there thinking about what had just happened, I closed my eyes again and listened to the world. I scratched the tar against the grain and it sounded like what I would imagine a crackle in a fire in the middle of winter to sound like. As the sky turned lighter and sun shinned brighter the birds started to chirp. Flying over me in unison they moved in the shape of an arrowhead. I could hear the breeze ever so slightly touch the leaves of the trees as it kissed my cheek. There were children on the street already yelling in dialects of Spanish and sounding rowdy. The youthful energy in their high-pitched voices irritated me. Every 15 minutes or so the train would pass and the roof would sway as it approached the station. Not in a tin roof kind of way, but rather in a greater symphony kind of way, where everything just flowed on a higher level.

The slight commotion of human interaction compared to the silence of only an hour ago told me that it was time to go. I opened my eyes and exhaled. I guess this place isn’t so bad after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Artist Statement

Hunter Hassle